Thursday, April 28, 2011

Off to a smashing start!

So yesterday was Departure Day. In theory it would've been a reasonably early start to the day, with a morning visit to the storage locker to pick up a bike to bring to my brother in Toronto, followed by joining some of the guys from work for lunch, and a leisurely drive to the T-Dot. That well-laid plan was quickly derailled as soon as I went out to put my luggage in the car. That's when I noticed the gaping hole where the driver's window used to be, and shattered glass all over the place. Missing: my GPS, about $5 US in cash, and a backpack full of bike gear. Added: a mud-covered rock. Still there: my bike, my bike mechanic toolbox, my woodworking toolbox, and all my camping gear. I think I got lucky on that one...

A quick call to the collision center next to my dealership established that they could get a used window in and installed on Thursday. Not great news, but not the end of the world. They call back 5 minutes later with even better news: they could get a new window in, and if I bring my car in the next 45 minutes, they could install it that same day, for only $10 more than the cost of a used window!  Yay!  The car was fixed by 1:00pm. I must say, those guys at the shop really came through for me.

Between repairs and replacement of stuff, I think I'm out about $600.  Like I said, it could've been worse.  I'm wondering if this event is a sign that I really needed to get out of Ottawa - the only other time I've had stuff stolen from me was many, many years ago on a family trip to Ottawa.  Or, could this be an ominous omen of things to come...?

I managed to vacuum the broken glass out of the inside of my car, get my final packing errands done, and leave Ottawa by 6:00pm, only four hours behind schedule.  One good thing to come out of this is that my car's interior is now cleaner than it has been in years!

No comments:

Post a Comment